Wednesday, April 6, 2011

From iSAD Anynomous

This e-mail came to us from our anonymous e-mail address, anonymouslytoisad@gmail.com. Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us. Each voice counts.
 
Hello,

Even though you promise to keep my identity a secret, I am still nervous to share my ideas. This separate email helps. Thanks. I wouldn't have commented otherwise.

OK. I am currently a RD, just new. I was one of those who was told that I should tone down my looks before my interviews. Keep my hair tied back in a low pony tail, no lipstick or mascara, simple suit. From what I have read on the blog, students can be under-qualified, over-qualified, too pretty, too entitled, and too spoiled. This seems quite unfair. Really unfair. 

Now that I am a dietitian working in clinical practice as my first job, I have started to question if this job was everything I thought it would be. My colleagues are really great and the patients are appreciative for the most part, but the actual work is pretty mundane. Maybe I need a change or I am just tired after going through the whole undergrad and internship process (not integrated, btw). It feels anti-climatic sorta.

Anyway, I wanted to share, so others didn't feel so alone. This blog has helped me to feel more connected to my peers, strangely, when I read their stories. I feel for you. I feel for all of us.


To send e-mails anonymously:
Log into: anonymouslytoisad@gmail.com           
Password: isadisad

Send your questions or statements or comments directly to: theprojectisad@gmail.com
 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Because we work so hard to become a dietitian, we often end up idealizing what being a dietitian actually is. Ultimately, it is just a job.

I felt the exact same way you do when I started my first job as a clinical dietitian. Eventually I left clinical dietetics to pursue graduate studies. My career is now related to dietetics, but in a non-traditional role unrelated clinical dietetics. I love it and am very happy. My career is now better suited to my personal characteristics and strengths.

Maybe being a clinical dietitian is not the right path for you.

Anonymous said...

There so many opportunities for you to use your skills. This is an exciting time for you. It may not feel like that but it truly is!

I felt the same way. The opportunities are endless. I pursued graduate studies and am now going down a different path. But I bring all my clinical experiences with me.

Remember the clinical experiences you bring with you and they will serve you in the future. Start by doing an inventory list of what you like and do not like about your current position and where you see yourself going. Find a dietitian who you would like to be your role model. I would suggest someone who is not in a traditional path. Or so it sounds like this may help you but this is just my instinct speaking at this time.
How do you find that person. Network.. Network ... Network... What do you see yourself doing? Start working on this list.

Keep in touch!

Anonymous said...

What about it is mundane?

Or what type of grad studies would you have to pursue to change the direction of your undergrad?

I am currently a student second-guessing my undergrad in Nutrition, and would just like to know the pros and cons of the job.