Wednesday, March 16, 2011

My Internship Application Experience

When I applied for this program, I knew that after graduation I would have to do an internship to get registered as a Dietitian. Becoming a Dietitian is important to me because I feel as thought this is what will be the basis of my reputation, and I believe it is important to be apart of this elite group of healthcare workers which provide me with the support I would need to keep myself up to date with all the latest information. When I joined this program, I had no idea what the application process would be like, let alone how difficult it would end up being.
Since the end of high school, I have had a job. I have worked to pay for all of my schooling, and recently when I started this program, I took a job to support myself so that I could live closer to school. I have prided myself on the ability to remain in school and achieve good grades while working. Few of my friends in this program have real jobs that require more than 10 hours a week, so I considered myself one of a kind. I was not aware that while I was working to support myself, others who have the luxury of not having to work were able to seek out significant volunteer opportunities that, although not required to complete this program, seem to be very important in retrospect. I don’t believe it is right that, just because I have to work to pay the rent and therefore may not be able to volunteer as much as the next person (even though volunteering is not required), I won’t be considered for an internship position.
In October when the application process started, I considered not applying because I thought, maybe I’m not qualified enough, maybe I’m not ready. And after 8 years of university, I decided I was ready for this internship and even though maybe I didn’t have a lot of volunteer experience and even though I don’t have a 4.0 GPA, the coordinators would see my experience and my well-roundedness and maybe grant me an interview. All I needed was an interview to show them I was worthy. And so for 4 months I worried and stressed and collected all of the required documents for the applications and made sure everything was in check. It took a lot of money that I don’t really have, and a lot of time that I couldn’t really take, and concentration that took away from my school work and my job and that drove me crazy. I thought, okay if I’m making this much of an effort and I have all of these experiences and I want this SO badly, they will see that and interview me. I was not thinking that everyone thinks like I do, and everyone thinks they deserve an interview. And the reality of it is there are just too many applicants and not enough space. How is it possible that there were that many people that were so much better than me? What did I do wrong? What am I missing and how can I improve? What am I going to do now? These are questions that I have asked myself a million times since realizing that I was not getting interviews. I have made myself sick over waiting to hear and hearing other people get calls and myself not getting called. My family and friends tried to comfort me and calm me down and tell me that it’s impossible that they wouldn't even consider me for an interview. The stress I endured and the frustration I have with this process has affected every aspect of my life for the past month. The realization that I wasn’t even considered has made me rethink and regret applying in the first place. I feel so happy for my friends who got interviews and I sympathize with their anxiety over waiting for the acceptances. At the same time I feel bad that they feel bad that I didn’t get anything. How is this process supposed to encourage people to become Dietitians?
Although there is much more I can say about going through this process, I will leave you with this thought: it was hard to organize my thoughts like this, however I have realized that I do not feel inadequate because of this experience. Rather I feel this process is inadequate. Hopefully by this time next year, I will feel better about the process. Something needs to change.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG. Thank you for this blog. I didn't get an internship either. I feel sad and ashamed that I didn’t get it. I had all my friends and family cheering up for me, believing that I would get it. I have so much volunteer experience, very good marks (not A-!), and excellent reference letters and still didn’t get it. I had so much experience that I had to take if off of my resume because it would not fit in two pages. I was so proud to have done so much. But today I feel ashamed. I feel like I have not done enough. I can’t look my parents’ in the eyes because they supported me financially hoping that this would get me somewhere. They don’t understand. Neither do I. This system is awful. It left me disillusioned. I feel like I lost 4 years of my life. I offer to work for free, full time, for a full year and they won’t take me. What kind of a sick system is this?

Anonymous said...

Dear Anonymous,

I am so sorry that you have been affected this way. You are right, this process is hard and stressful and you may feel like there's nothing else for you and your 4 years have been wasted. Please know that your voice has been heard. I hope you take some time to relax. You also should know that there are many things you can do this year with your degree. After all, you are still a university graduate with great work experience. Hopefully things have changed by the time you apply next year. At least for now you know you are not alone.

Anonymous said...

I also did not get an internship this year. I feel like I am a failure and I understand EXACTLY what the first commentor meant by "losing 4 years of my life". I don't know what I'm going to do next year and I'm panicking. Am I going to find a job? I have been looking at job listings ever since not getting an internship. It seems like every single one requires an RD designation. I know that all this sympathy comes from a good place, but at the same time, it doesn't answer any of this uncertainty that I have. What are these jobs that I can do next year? I feel like nobody ever talked about what we could do if we didn't get the internship. And it might seem like a year is not a very long time but it seems like an ETERNITY to me - an eternity in which I will not be doing what I worked so hard for throughout the past few years. What's going to happen to me? I don't want to do anything but become a dietitian. It's my dream, and it's been crushed.

Anonymous said...

From my experience it is also very difficult to get a job in any nutrition or food related field. Employers are well aware that the goal for nutrition grads is internship, which to them means you are going to apply to internship again and are likely to leave any job you get within the year.

Employers don't want to hire someone who is going to turn around and leave in less than a year...that is unless we are talking about an illustrious year at Starbucks or McDonalds.

Anonymous said...

I share all of your feelings. This process needs to change! I have worked so hard to get an internship and now I do not know what to do. I am finishing my undergrad at UWO this year, but what will I do next year? Spend more money on additionally education? Or work? I am already in so much debt so I think I will have to work, but will that decrease my chances of getting an internship next year?!

I don't know what to do...

Anonymous said...

i too did not get any interviews or an internship. i am told that i am 'the perfect candidate' by my internship coordinator at my school, which makes me feel worse as this is all i want to do! i have been applying for jobs like crazy and hopefully i will get something next year.

i wanted you to know that it is not you or your experience, it's the system that is flawed. i have 4 years of volunteering experience, worked two jobs, published an article in a journal and presented 4 presentations at conferences..... still i was not contacted. my grades have suffered a bit, but i still have maintained a 75% average. some students who have a lower average got an internship this year, which makes me feel that i am worthless and have also 'wasted four years of my life'. i am also struggling with being ecstatic for my friends who succeeded but being depressed for myself.

i am pretty heart-broken, but i do know many people who got exactly what they wanted the second time around..... for example the girl who posted this link on FB!!

please don't give up on your dream of becoming an RD, everything happens for a reason and maybe you won't see what that is until this time next year. all the best and good luck!

Anonymous said...

I am happy and sad at the same time to see these posts and these comments. I am happy because finally someone is taking this public and speaking about what we all feel and go through alone, and sad that this process is so unfair and leaves so many wonderful people depressed. I was lucky to get an internship this year, but to be honest I'm not so happy. I see my friends cry and my heart breaks. I also feel that because of this process I lost some friends because it was weird to talk about this whole thing and so we drifted apart. I talked to a friend outside of Ontario and she said that in other provinces the internship is integrated into the undergraduate program.And that every students get an internship. Why isn't this the case with Ontario universities? How many more generations of students have to go through this? Why weren't we told this in first year?

Anonymous said...

Regarding the comment above...It is true that I got an internship the second time around, however this does not in any way change the turmoil that I and a couple hundred other applicants go through each year as a result of the flawed process. Also, the success rate is still abysmal; about 35-40% in any given year.

To me, it is not a matter of whether you get an internship or not...the process is such that it causes harm to the profession itself as well as to everyone who has to endure the silence and competition that surrounds the application process.

While I was offered a spot in one of the programs to which I applied the second year, this should not in anyway detract from hurt caused by the process or obscure the reality that many qualified applicants apply 2, 3, 4, and 5 times and still do not get a spot.

Jenna

Anonymous said...

In response to the "getting a job in the field (that doesn't require being a dietitian)", it seems to me that there is no other option but to seek more education!! I didn't get an internship, and I'm trying to figure out what to do now. I found this: http://www.family.uoguelph.ca/sites/default/files/You%20Love%20Food%20and%20Nutrition.pdf - almost everything here involves taking more courses or doing an entirely different degree or diploma. How am I supposed to afford this???

Anonymous said...

The idea that an applicant can apply a second, third, fourth, or even fifth time and not get a spot upsets me so much. If the fact that they have tried again, worked hard to increase their "experience", spent additionally amounts of money, isn't considered dedication and passion, I don't know what is...

Anonymous said...

I feel the pain of all the people who posted on this blog. I highly commend the person who started this blog, it feels great to finally share the frustrations and feelings of diappointment, shame, anger, etc. with the people who understand. On the topic of finding jobs with this degree, i have to sadly inform you that there is not much out there. I have been out of school since 1998, and finaly after 4 years of applying for internsips, upgrades, looking for jobs relentlessly, I went back to college for a diploma, and got a job before I graduated. I am currently happy with my job as a Food service manager of long term care facily, however, I have the longing to become a dietitian one day. I want the designation to give me more credibility with the clients that I currently serve, to be part of a great profession with great potential to affect change in people's health. I wish there was a better way to get the practical experience needed for the RD designation. The current process is leaving a lot of worthy, passionate candidates behind, thereby, losing out on some great potential members of the profession.